No Progress in Negotiations to Save Arizona Coal Plant

Tag: 上海夜网GT

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Washington Examiner:The Trump administration has until December to save the largest coal-fired power plant in the West, but the prospects for the plant burning coal after 2019 are questionable.The deliberations over the Navajo Generating Station in Arizona are beginning to heat up after months of confidential, behind-the-scenes negotiations to secure new owners. The talks will continue into next year even after Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke signs off on a key environmental determination for the plant and approves a lease extension by Dec. 1.Zinke ramped up efforts to save the plant after low natural gas prices prompted the owners to decide to close the plant by the end of the year. A temporary lease agreement was forged to keep the plant running until the end of 2019 or until a longer-term solution can be created.Resuscitating the plant could be the first test of President Trump’s resolve to restore demand for coal in the electricity sector, especially since the the government is a majority stakeholder in the plant it is seeking to save. The Interior Department owns a 24 percent stake in the power plant.“We’re looking at it more from an overall preventing the premature closure of coal plants because we think they’re important to grid resilience and reliability,” said Michelle Bloodworth, the chief operating officer of the pro-coal industry group American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity.A member of her group, coal mining company Peabody, is heavily involved in the negotiations. Bloodworth’s group will be working with the administration on developing new coal incentives proposed late last month by Energy Secretary Rick Perry that reinforce the value of coal plants such as the Navajo station, instead of scrapping them in favor of lower-cost natural gas plants.The Energy Department proposal looks to provide market incentives for coal plants that can store 90 days worth of fuel on site to maintain grid reliability during supply disruptions.The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission is on an accelerated path to put out a rule creating the incentives in roughly the same time frame that Zinke has to sign off on the Navajo plant’s lease extension. The public comment period on the FERC’s proposed rule ends Monday. But it is not clear if the FERC plan would help make the economics better for the Navajo station beyond helping underscore the administration’s position that coal is necessary for a stable grid.Arizona utility commissioner Andy Tobin used the FERC plan in a letter this month to the power plant’s owners to emphasize its national security relevance and the need for the owners to maintain the plant as they prepare to leave in mid-December. The owners include the consortium Salt River Project, Interior’s Bureau of Reclamation, and utilities Tucson Electric Power, Nevada Power, and Arizona Public Service Co. The Salt River Project managed Interior’s stake in the power plant. Peabody operates the coal mine that feeds the plant.Tobin fears the owners will renege on their obligations to maintain the plant in the waning days of ownership, he told the Washington Examiner. Proponents say the plant’s continuing operation is necessary to support the Navajo and Hopi tribes that rely on it as a source of economic vitality, jobs and electricity, while the plant’s owners say it would mean higher prices for customers.“The owners made the difficult decision to end their participation in NGS because of the changing economics of the utility industry – primarily the cost of natural gas compared to coal generation,” said Scott Harelson, spokesman for the Salt River Project.“Our economic assessment remains the same today,” he said. “The owners continue to believe that operating the plant beyond 2019 would not be beneficial for their customers.”The plant is the largest coal-fired generator in the western half of the country and has its own dedicated mine to keep it running without disruption. Iif the plant closes, so does that mine.The plant was slated to close at the end of this year, but the Navajo leadership, which leases the land that the plant operates on, agreed to extend it through Dec. 2019.The new lease was approved in June, which means the plant will continue to generate electricity and employ workers for at least the next two years while the Interior Department figures out how to keep the plant running.The new lease also delays the laborious decommissioning process of scuttling the plant.Peabody Energy, the owner of the Kayenta Mine that feeds the power plant, is looking for a new consortium of owners, who would see a future in continuing to operate the coal-fired facility beyond 2019.An official with Peabody said it found a potential owner, who will begin evaluating running the power plant. The news satisfies an Oct. 1 deadline with the plant owners to secure a buyer. But the negotiations on a final agreement won’t be held until next year.“Lazard believes the Navajo Generating Station is a critical resource in the region for power generation and resource diversity, and from a total regional economic impact perspective,” said George Bilicic with the firm Lazard Fréres & Co. LLC, who is leading the transition process for Peabody. “Lazard took on this project because we believe there will be an optimal path forward that solves the needs of the many stakeholders involved, including the Navajo, Hopi and ratepayers in Arizona.”Continuing to burn coal at the big plant with its nearly 800 feet tall smokestacks is still in question. But that will hopefully be worked out in the Jan. 2018 – Dec. 2019 timeframe, according to industry and government officials.“We have been holding our breath to get it through 2019,” DuBray said. “I think we are optimistic” that the new lease will be approved before Jan. 1 and the process to transition the plant proceeds, he said.Zinke must sign off on the assessment and draft finding before the middle of December, when the Salt River owners leave. DuBray said the final environmental assessment will be complete by Dec. 1.The Bureau of Reclamation wants to “extend the lease of the plant beyond 2019 and then begin the retirement after 2019,” he said. “We are trying to provide some breathing room in this timeline.”More: Trump administration scrambles to save largest coal plant in the West No Progress in Negotiations to Save Arizona Coal Plantlast_img read more


Tag: 上海夜网GT

first_imgThe Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), has moved it’s final ruling for the case between Wilfred Osei Kwaku and the Ghana Football Association to August 4, 2020.CAS was expected to make the ruling on Friday, July 17, 2020, but have communicated to the parties involved, their decision to extend.Wilfred Osei Kwaku, appealed to CAS after he was disqualified from contesting the Ghana Football Association Presidency, by the Elections Committee of the Normalization Committee for failing integrity checks.Below is the statement from CAS:last_img


Tag: 上海夜网GT

first_imgTNT acquires Onwubere as Phoenix makes moves Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. “I guess my job as the coach is to put them in the right frame of mind. The excitement will always be there, but it’s a matter of channeling it to positivity. We’re more excited than nervous, to be honest,” he said.“We know it’s our first time to be in this level and it’s really an unchartered territory for us. But rather than being scared, we should be excited. We know that we got nothing to lose and we’re happy where we are. We know we wanted to be in Finals and we did everything in the best way that we can.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogRobinson knows how the Red Lions operate, and he even served as an analyst for the clash between San Beda and San Sebastian in the final level of the stepladder semis on Tuesday.And the third-year mentor could only derive one thing from their Finals date. Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES “It’s obvious that (San Beda) is determined to win,” he quipped. “At the end of the day, they’re the stronger team, they have more experience than us and it showed against San Sebastian. With coach Boyet (Fernandez) there, and they have a good group of guys that are motivated to show that they are the defending champions, we know what we have to face.”Robinson had only one more reminder for Lyceum: to stay the course and continue what it has been doing all season long — playing to inspire.“I just remind them of our vision, which is to inspire others. Of course, we want to be on the winning side, but victory or not, our vision will not stop,” he said. “We’ll still do what we have do and our dedication will never change. It’s really an opportunity for us to inspire people. That will never change.”ADVERTISEMENT Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set SEA Games 2019: Filipina fencers bag gold medal in team epee PLAY LIST 01:38SEA Games 2019: Filipina fencers bag gold medal in team epee02:12San Beda, Lyceum early favorites ahead of NCAA Season 9302:00NCAA Season 93 Preview: Lyceum Pirates02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacsoncenter_img Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny MOST READ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ View comments Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netLyceum coach Topex Robinson is well aware of the monumental task he has to face entering the NCAA Season 93 Finals.After steering the Pirates to their first ever playoff appearance, the youthful mentor has been stern in keeping his wards in check  for the best-of-three championship clash against San Beda, which starts on Friday.ADVERTISEMENT Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompsonlast_img read more


Tag: 上海夜网GT

first_imgHere are the top football headlines and transfer-related stories in Friday’s newspapers…Monaco are unwilling to sell highly-rated 21-year-old winger Thomas Lemar this summer, after being left ‘disappointed’ by Arsenal’s £31m bid for their star man. (The Independent)Barcelona are also interested in the France international. (L’Equipe)Chelsea boss Antonio Conte would prefer to bring Torino striker Andrea Belotti to Stamford Bridge this summer and is reportedly frustrated the club have prioritised the signing of Romelu Lukaku from Everton instead. (Daily Star)Liverpool are ready to make a bid for £70million-rated RB Leipzig midfielder Naby Keita. (Daily Mirror) The Reds are also chasing Arsenal winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and hope to complete deals for both players this summer. (Liverpool Echo)Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera has no desire to join Barcelona this summer. The Spaniard had been earmarked as a back up option if the Catalans faile to sign Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Marco Verratti. (Daily Mail)United have been given a setback in their efforts to sign Inter Milan midfielder Ivan Perisic for a cut-price fee. The Italian club reportedly need to break even for the financial year or face UEFA sanctions, but Inter are confident they will avoid punishment without having to sell Perisic this summer. (Daily Telegraph)According to reports in Spain, Real Madrid could spend big bucks this summer by signing BOTH Eden Hazard and Kylian Mbappe. (Diario Madrista)Everton will complete the signing of 21-year-old Malaga striker Sandro next week. The Toffees have met the Spaniard’s release clause and he has passed a medical, but the La Liga club are refusing to sign release papers until his deal ends on 3 July. (Liverpool Echo)Southampton have joined the race to sign Manchester City’s £25m-rated striker Kelechi Iheanacho. Premier League rivals West Ham, Everton and Leicester are also chasing the 20-year-old, but the Saints may hold the edge if they are willing to include Ryan Bertrand as part of any deal. (The Sun)Arsenal left-back Kieran Gibbs has become a target for new Watford boss Marco Silva, although, with the defender out of contract in 12 months’ time, the Hornets are unwilling to meet the Gunners’ £15million valuation. (Daily Mirror)Liverpool defender Joe Gomez is a summer transfer target for newly-promoted Brighton, boss Chris Hughton has confirmed. The 20-year-old was limited to three Reds appearances in the FA Cup last season as he recovered from a long-term injury. (Brighton Argus)Meanwhile, Hull left-back Andy Robertson is on Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp’s radar, should Alberto Moreno decide to leave Anfield in the coming weeks. The 23-year-old Scot is rated at £8m by the Tigers hierarchy. (Liverpool Echo)Here are the latest talkSPORT headlines: David Gold has played down speculation West Ham are chasing Jack Wilshere, telling talkSPORT the club’s main priority this summer is bringing in two new strikers with Premier League experienceJohn Carver has told Newcastle United fans not to panic, insisting there will be major signings this summer and Rafa Benitez will remain as managerEverton and AC Milan target Nikola Kalinic has told Fiorentina he wants to leave this summer, according to reports in ItalyInter Milan have set their sights on signing “dream” target and former Manchester United winger Angel Di MariaNewly-promoted Huddersfield Town and West Brom are both keen on bringing centre-half Andrea Ranocchia back to the Premier LeagueWest Ham and Newcastle will have to cough up in excess of £8million to land Saint Etienne’s highly-rated full back Kevin MalcuitOut-of-favour Chelsea midfielder Marco van Ginkel is attracting the interest of Dutch giants PSV Eindhovenlast_img read more